Gmail is the most popular free email provider for all users and an easy to use the web interface. However, all the screen and preferences do not work properly with the default settings of the Gmail? Therefore let’s show you some of the customize Gmail and settings of the Gmail interface for the users who don’t know. In this post, you will learn how to customize Gmail Collapse/Expand Sidebar, Preview Pane, Display Density of Emails, Disable chats. You can Change theme, Choose Your Tabs, change to the only subject line, Increase the number of emails to display and Choose What to Display in the Sidebar.
How to Customized Settings of your Gmail account
If you want to customize Gmail on the web. Then follow the below step instructions to customized your Gmail interface according to your desire.
Collapse or Expand Sidebar of Gmail
When you open the Gmail account you will see the area which shows you the Inbox, Sent Items, Drafts, Thrash, Outbox, and so on called Sidebar. It took a lot of space on the screen of a smaller device. So let’s show how to collapse or expand sidebar see the instruction
- First click on the Hamburger menu
- Then Sidebar contrasts so appear only the icons
- Again click the Hamburger icon to appear the full sidebar
How to Choose What to Display in the Sidebar
The Gmail sidebar contains items you will need to use like the Inbox, but it also appears things you might never or rarely use like All Mail or Important.
- Go the left-hand sidebar of your Gmail
- You will see More option at the bottom of the sidebar
- Which by default is hides and contracted things you rarely use
- You can drag and drop items from the sidebar onto the More option listing to hide them
- If you want to bring any labels from more menu into the sidebar by using drag and drop that you use regularly.
- So they are easy to access and visible.
- You can also reorder the labels by drag and drop
How to Hide or Move the Google Hangouts Chat and Meet Window
If you do not use the Google Hangouts and Meet for chats or phone calls, you can disable or hide the chat window and Meet under the sidebar.
How to Hide or disable Hangouts Chat and Meet from Gmail
Google Meet is currently opening its ways to all Gmail users, a lot of complaints have prompted about the application using precious real estate in the sidebar and taking up the space they reserved for labels. Here are the following steps to disable or remove or hide the Hangouts Chat and Meet from Gmail.
- Open you your Gmail Inbox with any browser where you want to hide or disable Hangouts and Google Meet Chat
- Click on the Cog Gear Setting icon from the top right corner
- Select Settings option from the menu to visit Gmail’s settings
- Click on the Chat And Meet tab in the Gmail’s settings from the top right side
- Select the Chat Off to the right of the Chat to disable the Hangouts Chat section
- Now Select the Hide The Meet Section In the Main Menu to the right of Meet to disable the Google Meet section
- Finally, click on the Save Changes option at the bottom when you are done
After that, the Gmail will automatically reload and you will see that both the Google Meet and Hangout sections have to hide from the Gmail sidebar!
How to Move Hangouts Chat and Meet to the right side
If you do not want to disable or hide Hangout chat and Meet from your Gmail sidebar completely. Then you can move Meet and Hangout chat from the left side to the right-hand side. In the left side it will not show you Meet with the label and here is how to move it:
- Open your Gmail Inbox with your browser
- Click on the Settings gear icon from the top right side
- Go to the Advanced tab under the settings
- Scroll down to the Right Side section then select the Enable option
Gmail will reload with the chat window on the right side of the interface.
How to Change the Display Density of Emails
Basically, Gmail showing your emails with a readiness amount of space between them also includes an icon that indicates the type of attachment. If you want to make your email showing more compact:
- Tap or click the Setting Cog icon from the top right side
- Then click on the Display Density option from the menu
- Now Choose a View menu opens
- Then you can select the Default, Comfortable or Compact option
- Default View: This will display the icon for Attachments
- Comfortable View: It will not showing the icon for attachments
- Compact view: You also will not view the attachment icon, but it also minimizes the white space between emails.
- Select one of the density options you desire
You can go back to this menu any time to change the density settings.
How to Show Only the Subject Line
Gmail shows the subject of an email message and a few words from the body by default. You can change this to view only the subject of the email message for a cleaner viewing experience.
- Go to the Gmail Home page
- Click on the Settings cog icon at the top right side of your screen
- Then select the See All Settings or Settings option from the menu
- Tap or Click on the General tab from the Settings
- Scroll down to the Snippets section then select the No snippets option
- Click or tap the Save Changes option
- After that, the Gmail will now show the subject lines but nothing from the body text of your emails messages
How to Enable the Hidden Email Preview Pane (Reading Pane)
If you want to enable the Gmail and email preview pane, but it is not turned on by default. Let’s show how to quickly enable the Preview pane.
- Go to your Gmail Homepage
- Click on the Setting cog icon from the top right side
- Then select the Reading Pane Such as No Slipt, Right of Inbox, & Below Inbox from the menu (as shown below)
- You can also Select the See all Settings option from the menu
- Click on the Inbox tab then scroll down to the Reading Pane option
- Now click on the Enable option
- Select your Reading Pane position
- Select the Save Changes option
So now you will see the will displays either a vertical or horizontal preview pane.
How to Change the Mail Action Icons to Text
Once you select an email message in Gmail, the mail actions shown as icons. If you hover your mouse cursor over these icon tips appears. However, if you would prefer simple text in place of having to keep in mind what the icons mean, you can delete or remove them.
- Open your Gmail Inbox homepage
- Click or tap on the Settings cog icon at the top right side
- Select the See all Settings option from the menu
- Click the General tab from the top
- Scroll down to the Button Labels section
- Select the Text option, go to the bottom of the page
- Then click on the Save Changes option
- When coming back to the email interface, the actions replace as text
This option can be particularly useful for someone who’s not tech-savvy and might struggle to figure out what the icons mean.
How to Change the Number of Displayed Emails
Gmail displayed to you 50 emails at a time by default. This made sense when it launched back in 2004 because most people probably did not have the best internet speeds. It is still ideal if you have a slower connection.
- Click on the Settings Cog icon at the top right from the Gmail Homepage
- Select See All Settings or Settings from the menu
- Tap or click on the General tab from the top of your screen
- Scroll down to the Maximum Page section
- Click on the drop-down menu and then change it to 100 (the max allowed)
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and select the Save Changes option
- Now your Gmail will display to you 100 emails per page
However, if you have the bandwidth to display more (as most of us do), you can change this value.
How to Color-Code Your Labels
If you to color-code your labels then follow the below steps:
- Hover over your mouse cursor on a Label
- Then Click on the Three dots or More option on the right
- Click or tap to choose the Label Color
- Then select the color you want to use
- The applied labels to your email will now be color-coded, making it much simple and easier to view things at a glance
How to Choose Your Tabs
You can see tabs across your Gmail Inbox, such as Primary tab, Social, and Promotions. If you to choose which of these are visible then follow these steps:
- Click on the Settings cog icon from the top right
- Scroll through the menu to select the Inbox Type such is By Default (Customize), Important first, Unread first, Starred first, Priority Inbox(Customize), and Multiple Inbox (Customize)
- If you choose By default option then click on the Customize link
- Then a panel will appear, choose the tabs which you want visible (you cannot deselect the Primary tab)
- Then click or tap on the Save option
- It will change the tabs across the top of your Gmail Inbox to those you selected
- If you want to see any tabs you have not selected, click on the Categories in the sidebar
You can also select the See All Settings from the Settings menu. Then Go to Inbox tab and scroll to the Categories section. Here you can select your categories and click on the Save option from the bottom.
How to Change Gmail’s Them
If you do not like the back text is not your favorite color scheme on a white background. If you want to change it then here are these steps to follow:
- Go to the Gmail homepage and click on the Settings Cog icon
- Scroll to the Theme to select one of the themes from the menu or click on the View All option to see more themes
- Click or tap on the Theme and you will see a preview that Gmail shows it behind the Themes panel
- When you have selected the theme you wish, you can use the options (Available for some themes) at the bottom to finesse it a bit
- Then click on the Save option
Those all are some of the methods you can change the Gmail interface to your suit your preferences.