Do you know how to allow or block pop-ups in the Google Chrome browser? Google Chrome does a great job at blocking pop-up windows out of the box, but sometimes it stops them even in case you are expecting one from a trusted website. Here is how you can take control and turn on or block pop-ups in Chrome.
How to Allow or Block pop-ups in Google Chrome from all websites or specific ones only
By default, automatically Google Chrome disables pop-ups in the web browser; something easily overlooked due that’s how the internet should be presented. Not entire of the pop-up windows is invasive or malicious. Some of the websites use them for legitimate reasons.
How to Allow Pop-ups from a Specific Site
If you want to allow when Chrome blocks a pop-up from the website, it shows an icon with a red cross X icon to the right side or a Lock icon to the left side in the corner of the Omnibox. In case you suspect this is a problem and want to view pop-ups from this website. Then here are the following steps to do it.
- Click on the icon to view site-specific options
- Next click on the “Always Allow Pop-ups and Redirects”
- Then click on the Done
- When you click on the Done then reload the web page to save your choice and see any intended pop-ups on this website.
- Another way, in case you just wish to view a pop-up one time, select the blue link in this window and you will be redirected to the pop-up that was basically blocked.
- For a time popup seeing, select the blue link once opening the pop-up notification window.
How to Block Pop-ups from a Specific Site
Google Chrome performs a great job at blocking a majority of pop-ups, but sometimes a pop-up squeaks through- or you accidentally select the Allow in place of Block and make its path onto your screen. To explicitly disable or block a website from showing pop-ups, you can add it to the Chrome browser block list.
- Click on the Menu icon from the top right side
- Select the Settings option and Alternatively, you can type
- chrome://settings/ into the Omnibox to go directly there
- Click on the Menu button and then select the Settings option
- Scroll down in the Settings tab and then click on the Advanced option
- Go down to the Privacy and Security heading and Click on the Content Settings option once you see it.
- Click on the Pop-ups and Redirects option in the list of settings
How to Block Pop-ups of Accidentally Added website to Allow
If you have accidentally added the website to the Allow list, you can immediately revoke its permissions to have Chrome begin blocking its pop-ups again. Otherwise, you will have to manually add the problematic URL to the block list. You will learn both of the cases below.
- Locate the Problematic website under the Allow heading, click on the More or Three dots
- Then click on the Block option
- You will see that the URL will move from the Allow list to the Blocked list
- In case you did not see the site under the list either heading to select the Add option to the right of the Block heading
- Type the URL of the website in the prompt that opens you wish to block and then click on the Add option
Important Note: Once providing the website address, in case you wish to block the entire of the pop-ups across the whole site, use the [*.] prefix to catch all subdomains from the website.
- The website address and entry of its subdomains are now below the Blocklist and Chrome should handle any future pop-up requests from this website.
- The Chrome will block now the Popups from the website
How to Allow All Pop-ups
Worldwide allowing pop-ups is not suggested, as they can be annoying and intrusive, but in the case for some reasons you require to let every website show pop-ups, this is how you can bypass Chrome pop-up blocker. If you require to allow a specific website to show them, you should add it to the “Allow” list mentioned in the method above first.
- Launch the Chrome browser
- Go to the Settings from the menu
- Click on the Content Settings option
- Select Pop-ups and Redirects, or Alternatively, type chrome://settings/content/popups into the Omnibox and hit Enter.
How to allow pop-ups in the Google Chrome mobile app
If you want to allow pop-up on the Google Chrome mobile app from your Android or iOS device. Here are these steps to follow.
Allow all pop-ups on an Android:
To allow entire of pop-ups on your Android device.
- Tap on the Google Chrome mobile browser app to open it on your device
- Next, tap on the More icon or three vertical dots in the top-right corner,
- Select the Settings option in the pop-up
- Then tap on the Site Settings option
- Tap on the Pop-ups and redirects on the Site Settings page
- Now tap on the Slide the switch to the left to turn off pop-up blocking
Allow pop-ups for specific sites only on an Android:
If you want to allow pop-ups for certain sites only on your Android mobile app.
- Navigate the Google Chrom app on your mobile device
- Tap on the Always Show at the bottom of a page where pop-ups are blocked.
Allow all pop-ups on an iPhone or iPad:
Tap to the Google Chrome browser mobile app on your device
Press the More icon, in the bottom-right corner, which looks like an ellipsis
Select the Settings option from the pop-up
Scroll down and tap on the Content Settings
Select the Block Pop-ups on the Content Settings page
Tap on the Toggle switch it from blue to grey color next to Block Pop-ups- this will disable pop-up blocking
Allow pop-ups for specific sites only on an iPhone or iPad:
To allow pop-ups for certain sites only on your iPhone or iPad device then follows these steps.
- Launch the Google Chrome browser app on your mobile device
- Tap on Always show underneath Pop-ups blocked at the bottom of a page where pop-ups are blocked.
How Fix issues with pop-ups
In case you are on a website page that is showing dialog or pop-ups and not going away, then try these instructions:
- Tap to turn it on your phone in airplane mode
- Quit from your Google Chrome browser
- Now close the tab that is showing a bad dialog box or pop-up.