Do you know how to make a custom route using Google maps? If you are familiar and probably used Google Maps to look up your direction before. But did you know you can make your own custom route or map within it? Then you do not require any third-party or special software to create a custom map or route in Google Maps. Google Maps is all you need, letting you add your own shapes, pinpoints, and directions to the custom map. The customization possibilities are almost endless, and it is the best method to simply arrange and view your favorite locations on one map. Let’s show you how to do it.
How to Create Your Custom Maps in Google Maps
To do this you need to use Google Maps on your desktop web browser. If you are having an issue with a blank Google Maps screen, you will also need to clear your site data.
In Google Maps a custom map does not let you make a new landscape-you are trapped on planet Earth. It will let you just do that, however, it add your one routes, locations, and landmarks.
Onto the current map, you can draw your own shapes to add detail to the existing map. While you can create a custom map using the web version of Google on your desktop, you can only see it in the Google Maps application for iOS and Android devices.
Creating a Custom Map in Google Maps
To create a custom Map in Google Maps website version on your desktop computer. Here are these steps to follow and to start.
- Open the Google Maps website with any browser and log in using your Google account. Once you are logged in then click the Main Menu icon in the upper-left.
- Select the Your Places option in the options menu
- Click on the Maps tab in the Your Places menu that opens.
- Select the Create Map option at the bottom of the menu
- You will see the map creation window in a new tab. Select the Untitled Map text to name it at the top of the menu on the left side.
- Add a name and description in the Edit map title and description men for your map
- Then click on the Save option to save it.
Adding Custom Map Layers
Your custom map or route map is made up of layers, with the Base Map layer and the main Google Maps view at the bottom.
- Select the Options Arrow next to Base Map to customize the appearance of the Base Map layer and choose a different map theme.
- Once you make a new custom map in Google Maps, a new Untitled Layer is added by default.
- To your custom map, you can add several layers as you want, letting you separate the variation of components of your new map from each other, by clicking the Add layer button.
- In case you wish to rename or change the name of this layer, click on the three-dot menu icon next to the layer and then select the Rename Layer option from the drop-down menu
- Click on the Delete Layer to delete it.
How to Add Components to your Custom Map in Google Maps
You can customize your custom map in Google Maps by drawing and with several different components. That is manually creating or adding shapes, marker points, or lines, as well as directions directly onto your map.
To start, first, ensure that you are in the custom map editor via the Google Maps website on your desktop. Click on the Main Menu, Your Places, Maps, and Create Map option.
Add a Marker Point
If you want to add or custom marker point on your map what appears is a pinpoint icon. You can use it to add additional details to an area, as well as to point map users to an area or a location that is not clarified on the Base Map layer.
To create a new mark point to your custom map, you must ensure that you have located the right location on the Base Map layer. When you are ready then follow these steps to add points.
- Select the Add Marker icon below the search bar in the custom map editor tool
- Click on an area of the map via your trackpad or mouse.
- Enter a best name and description and then click on the Save button to add it to your map
- You can change the color and the icon style for the point you’re just created by clicking on the paint bucket icon. Then will show you different color and icon options.
Creating Lines or Shapes
You can create or add custom lines and shapes to your custom map to highlight specific areas or locations. To do this follows these steps:
- Select the Draw a Line option in the toolbar menu near the search bar and then click on the Add line or shape option
- While using your mouse or trackpad in a suitable area on the map draw a line and use various lines to make a joined-up shape.
- Enter a custom name and description or detail to your object in the menu that appears before going to Save changes and confirming it.
Adding Custom Directions
You can use your custom map to share directions from one place to another by creating a directions layer. To do this follows these steps:
- Select the Add Directions icon to create this layer from the menu below the search bar tools
- It will show the directions layer in the menu on the left side. Enter your departure point or location to the A text box and the arrival point to the B text box.
- When you have filled both the A & B text boxes, the map will refresh showing the route between your stated locations.
Adding Photo or Video to Your Map
You can also add a video or a photo to any line, marker, or shape that you make on your custom map. To do so follow these steps:
- Click on your shape or marker and find the photo icon.
- It will pop up a window and you will view several options that let you to:
- Upload a photo file from your computer or from your Google Drive
- Capture a picture with your web camera
- Add a photo via Google image Search or from the web via URL
- Add a YouTube link via search or via URL
When you have chosen a video or photo link you would like to use, press save and it will be added to your shape or marker. You can also make a gallery with different photos or/and videos links by selecting the + icon on the bottom right-hand side before saving.
How to Share Custom Maps in Google Maps
When you have made your map, you are free to use and access it yourself from within Google Maps>Press the Hamburger Menu with Google Maps>Select the Your Places option>Click on the Maps option or You can also access it from the Google My Maps website.
By default, you can only see your custom map, but you can share it with others in the following steps:
- Go to Google My Maps website with any browser
- Login to your Google account (If not)
- Click on the Owned tab where your custom map should be listed.
- Select the Share Map option to share it with others
- You will see various options to share your custom map on different social media platforms, Via email, or by fixing it on your website.
- Choose one of the options among those to continue.
- Share via Facebook, Twitter, Email, Embed on my site.
- You can also choose a custom link to your map that will let you share it with others directly
- Go to the Owned tap of the Google My Maps website, click on your custom map to go back to the map editor, and then select the Share icon in the left side menu
- The Link Sharing options menu will appear up. Select the Change option under the Who Has Access section
- Choose the level of access for your custom map in the Link Sharing option menu. You can limit access and use to certain Google account users, let access to anyone who has the shared link or create your map public instead.
- When you have chosen your sharing level, select the Save option to save the selection
At this point your shared settings will be saved, able you to invite specific users to view it by sharing the link or by email invitation to your custom map to an unlimited set of friends or users directly.
- How to Pause YouTube Music History
- Link to Facebook/LinkedIn/Twitter in Your Gmail Signature
- How to Update or Change Your Email Signature in Gmail
- Add or Create a Gmail Signature on Web and App
- Block or Allow Pop-ups in Chrome Web/App