Hackers are around every popular social network. Account security is important to keep it safe and recover a hacked Facebook account. The busy platform with more than 2 Billion active users. Therefore even your friends or social enemies doing tricks that you don’t know.
Sometimes you have access to your account but actually your account is compromised. Someone else has access to your information and you don’t know. Furthermore, third-party apps integration to your account hackers is getting and injecting information through that channel.
Sometimes, changing your password could not work if your account is compromised. Scrolling through below contents to understand how to recover your compromised and hacked account from bad guys. In addition, how you can keep it secure and make sure no access to anyone.
Indicators of Hacked Facebook Account
Here are some indicators when your account has been hacked by someone else:
- Changes in personal information without your knowledge
- Your name or birthday date modification
- Send Friend requests to unknown people from your account
- Send Friend requests to your friends who are already in your friend’s list
- Unknown posts that you did not post
- Your Friends receive messages from you and you didn’t send to them
- Like and dislike without your intention
- Third-party apps list with permission to use your account and you don’t know
- A security alert from Facebook upon changes of security settings
Above all or some of them when happening with you or any other unusual activity to your account, then take immediate action to protect your FB account.
Go through below contents, and consider the appropriate action for your account. Sometimes for an unknown reason, your password is not working like below screenshot.
When you sure that your Facebook account has been hacked by someone. Then quickly change your password before you are going to do something else. If you have unable to access your account, immediately follow the below steps for your guidance.
How was My FB Account Hacked?
User talk about their Facebook accounts being hacked. But they do not know how exactly when this hacking happens. There are several ways through which hacker gain access to your account.
- Reusing passwords, especially leaked (data breach), same password for all accounts.
- Key loggers software that transfers all keystroke hit to hackers
- Social Engineering trick and tips
- Answering Security Questions (close friend know about you)
- Email Account and Password Resets (guessed your password)
- Maybe you left your account log in school or on public PC
- Set up an Evil Twin Wi-Fi Hotspot in a coffee shop
- Some stolen your Tablet or phone while you are using
- A phishing email, with Facebook notification to login (Fake URL)
These are possible ways someone else can hand on your account. But consider your high priority to secure your account now. More delay could cause more damages to your account. Facebook account recovery can trigger the recovery option for a short period after changes in security settings.
Quick Report a Compromise to Facebook Account Hacked
When your FB account hacked and you cannot log in. You can still report of hack and compromise account to Facebook. The Facebook help will redirect you to receive instruction to reset your password. So here are the steps below to report to your company and reset your password.
- Open your Facebook’s Report Compromised Account page.
- Then click the My Account is Compromised option
- Enter your new Email address or new Phone Number associated with your FB account and click the Search option.
- Enter your current Password or old one, and click Continue option
- Choose one of the options that why you think that your account has been hacked and select the Continue option
- Facebook notification that you want to change your password and confirm that recent changes came from you to your account to keep secure.
- Then hit the Get Started option
Reporting a hacked account with followings options, select the option in your case and click Continue
I found a post, message or event that I don’t create
Someone else got into my account without my permission
I found an account which uses my name or photos
People can see things that I thought were private
I don’t see the right option on the list
After click Get Started, follow the instructions to protect and secure your account. Depend on your account but Facebook can’t take you to the similar steps as others.
Notify Your Friends
You need to inform all of your FB Friends regarding this that your account was hacked. Alert them not visit any links that may have received from your FB account during the duration of hacked and out of your control.
Sometimes hackers who compromised your FB account may have sent or post links to your friends in private messages or comments.
Similarly, you can also check the groups, community and pages if see if there is any post from you. If you find any activity, report and delete it as soon as possible.
Remove Unknown Application from Your FB Account
You must uninstall the entire unknown Facebook app that you installed on your FB account and you do not know. These third-party apps have access and permission from your account to act on your behalf. Remove the apps you do not want use. At some occasion, at may ask your personal information to grant access to the apps. So follow the steps to delete these apps:
- Open your Facebook and Click Down Arrow
- Select the Settings option
- Click the Apps and Websites
- Check the box if you want to remove and click the Remove option
- Click again the Remove option on the confirmation prompt. If you want to delete all post, video, and photo that the apps share on your behalf.
Go to Settings > Apps and Website
Click the drop-down menu and go to Settings
Go to Apps and Website from the Settings menu. Apps and Websites > Active tab showing App and access list. Check the box and click Remove button to delete the App.
Example of Third-party App
Above Screenshot showing SKEDit Schedule. This App is usually used to schedule a post to publish later on.
Once you click on the View and edit on an app, it will be showing you’re the level of access to your account and information FB shares with it
The expired apps and past apps will show to you on the top of the Apps and Website page are additional tabs. The expired apps had access once for a specific event. While their permission has since lapsed and Past apps are those which have deleted from your account.
Expired or removed apps still have your old information FB shared last time when the App was active last time. But the apps can no more access to the new information from your FB account after they removed or are expired.
Clicking the tile for an expired or removed app demonstrate you the best way to request app remove your information
Prevention of Account Hacking
Prevention of hacking is the best method to stop them in the future from hacking your account next time. So follow the below steps:
Turn On Two-Factor Authentication
To prevent the next time hack, consider taking steps to improve your FB account privacy and security. However, to stop your Facebook account from being compromised again, Facebook emphasized you to enabling Facebook 2FA feature.
Enable this option requires an extra form of verification beyond your password when someone tries to sign in to your account. Furthermore, the second option of authentication can be a code number received via SMS or an authentication app will generate a code on your phone.
If you have 2-Factor authentication enabled, anyone could have complete access to your password, but unless the second option to authentication makes it impossible for someone to log in to your Facebook account.
Follow the steps to enable Two-Factor Authentication:
- Open a Facebook account and click the Down arrow
- Select the Settings Option
- Click the Security and Login option from the left pane
- Scroll down to the Use Two-Factor authentication and click the Edit
- Then Click the Get Started option
- Choose the option Authentication App or Text Message and click Next option
- In case you select the Text Message then enter the code in the provided fields. If you select the Authentication App, install the app on your phone and follow the instruction.
- When the Two –Factor Authentication message appears then click the Finish option.
#1 Open Settings > Security and Login
Click the drop-down menu then open Settings
Click Security and Login from the Settings menu.
#2 Enable Two-Factor Authentication
In Two-Factor authentication section, click on the radio button and then Edit
Click Get Started on Welcome page
Choose the security method and click next
Add a new phone number to get SMS verification code then click Next.
Add verification code to verify your phone number then click Next button
After security method verification, the Two-Factor Authentication is on now.
Enable Run Security Checkup
Another feature to prevent hacker is the Facebook’ Security checkup option provides additional protection to your account. Follow the steps to use the security checkup feature:
- Sign out of the Facebook account and FB Messenger from all unused apps and browsers
- Receive an alert when anyone signs in to your FB account from unknown computer or mobile device
Regularly Change Your Facebook Password
Adopt a method and schedule to change your password frequently. Such as people keep changing their password every week or every month. However, you can do it regularly by following steps:
- Open your Facebook and Click the down arrow
- Select the Settings option
- Click the Security and Login option
- Scroll down to the Change Password in the Login section and click the Edit option
In conclusion, to summarize, you need to get safe from hackers. Recover your account from all prospective. Specifically to avoid third-party apps. And go through all the security steps to get safe from wrong hands.