Do you know how to restrict your Chromebook to certain users? You can control who can use or sign in to your Chromebook. By default, everyone with a Google account can sign in to your Chromebook and start using the computer. If you would want to lock it down and allow only a specific group of people to use your Chromebook device, It is easy to configure in Settings.
What does restrict sign in mean on Chromebook?
It is easy to share your Chromebook with anyone with a Google account who can sign in, or enable the Guest Account to use it. You can also restrict sign-in rights to certain users. The other users do not have access to and use your store data. Just what is in their Google Account. While there is a Guest account that allows family and friends to use it, even without a Google account, you might want to restrict the ability to sign in to certain users.
What You Will Require to Control Other Users
To stop other users from using your Chromebook device then you will need the following things:
- You should be logged in to your device as an owner account.
- The account registered first on Chrome will owner the account when it is new or after a Powerwash reset.
- If you are unable to access the owner account, you will not be able to stop or restrict who can sign in or use the Chromebook.
How to Restrict Who Can Log In Your Google Chromebook
If you want to control your Chromebook to specific users then follow these steps:
- Sign in to your Chromebook as an owner account.
- When you logged in then click to open the launcher and expand the menu until you view the app icons
- Select the Settings Gear icon to open the Settings app
- Click on the Security And Privacy in the sidebar in the Settings
- Then click on the Manage Other People
- In Manage Other People People settings, if you wish to stop people without a Google account from using your Chromebook device. flip the switch next to Enable Guest Browsing to the disable position. This is optional, but it will restrict unauthorized users or people from using your Chromebook.
- Enable the switch beside Restrict Sign-in to the Following Users beneath that on the Manage Other People page.
- After that, a list of users already registered to the Chromebook device will appear to you. Then click on the Cross (X) icon next to the person’s name to remove it from the list. Click on Add User option to add another user just below the user list and follow the menu that appears.
- Once you are done, close the Settings
How to Unrestrict Your Chromebook for People
The next time you will see the sign-in page, you will notice that the Add a person option is grey out. Whenever you want to let other users again then follow these steps:
- Go to the Settings of your Chromebook
- Select the Security and Privacy option
- Click on the Manage Other People option
- Then Turn Restrict Sign-in to the Following to off.
How to Turn off Guest Browsing On Your Chromebook
If you turn off the guest browsing option, then other people have to sign in to your Chromebook with their Google account. Let’s show you the below instructions to do it. You will need to sign out from Chromebook if you are using guest browsing.
- First, you will need to sign in to your Chromebook with the owner account
- Select the Time at the bottom right
- Select the Settings option
- Go to the Security and Privacy section and click on Manage Other people option
- Then turn it off to enable Guest browsing.