Do you know how to enable and disable secret conversation in Messenger? If you are looking for that how make your Messenger conversation more secret? Then you are in the where you will learn from where you can enable and Disable secret conversations on Facebook Messenger. Facebook is trying for more improvement and making your messages more secure with today’s well known end-to-end encryption within Messenger. Through which we are able to make our conversation more secret that no one can easily understand and hidden from peer eyes.
The Facebook rollout started with several functions and features, with a big encryption update for the encryption messages in Facebook Messenger introduced by Facebook in April 2016. But Facebook did not begin trails until the month of July. Now it is available to all Facebook one billion users and it is more than the encryption. There are many functions inserted into this one. I will guide you all of them.
How to Enable/Disable and Manage Secret Conversation in Messenger Complete Guide
If you are new to Facebook Messenger and you do not know what is a secret conversation feature? How to enable and Disable secret conversations on Messenger? How to Start a Secret Conversation? in two different ways like Open Conversation Direct from Main Chat Screen and Using Search Bar to Find Conversation to open. How to Set Timer for Automatic Message Deletion or Disappear? What is allowed to Send in a Secret Conversation? How to Delete a Secret Conversation? in two multiple ways like individually and Delete all secret conversations at once. How to Check If a Conversation is Encrypted or Not? from your own profile and friend’s profile. How to Go Regular Conversation From Secret Conversation? How to Go Regular Conversation From Secret Conversation? How to Disable Secret Conversation on Messenger App? How to Remove Device from Secret Conversations? What Does Remove Device Mean? Secret Conversation Feature is Currently Disable for This Device: How to fix it? & Facebook Secret Conversation for Desktop. Let’s scroll down to all of the above things one by one for your guidance.
What is Secret Conversations on Messenger App: everything you need to know about Facebook’s new feature?
Facebook’s secret conversation feature in messenger will let the users talk to each other in a completely private and closed-off chat.
Secret Conversation makes able two friends speak to each other in an encrypted space with no-one else. Including Facebook is able to see. The feature provides users with device keys that ensure them no one can sneak a peek at what they say or text to each other.
End-to-end encryption means that your messages conversations are encrypted from one device to another so the conversation cannot be accessed by someone else than the send and the intended receiver. Facebook’s new encryption appropriately is called Secret Conversation.
The encrypted information is unreadable and not understandable to anyone and a code strong and higher security level that applies automatically when you turn on and start using this conversation. Simply on you and the receiver can view, manage, and read that conversation.
To make the conversation more secure that why is it provide a limitation to that and the cause for that limitation to make it secret. When the users start sending this type of message, Messenger automatically adds a key for your device and the other user. Those keys should be matching in the coming days if it not then you have lost those conversations. Let’s show the devices key in the below post.
How to Enable Secret Conversation on Messenger
Start the secret conversation on messenger then you will need to enable a secret conversation option. Enabling of the secret conversation button on Messenger is very simple. Before going to enable this option you will need to update your Messenger app first then follow the given listed steps below for both Android and iOS (iPhone & iPad) devices.
- Tap to Open Messenger App
- Select the Profile photo from the top left side corner of your screen
- Tap on Secret Conversations option with lock icon below Photo & Media option
- Tap to move the toggle from the left to right to enable Secret Conversations for your device
- It will make you able to start to send and receive an encrypted message on Messenger
- Finally, tap to Turn On Secrete Conversation option to confirm your action
You are good to go turn on the encrypted message or secret convo feature successfully and easy to begin a secret or private chat on Messenger. if you don’t know how to send a secret convo or private chat on the Messenger app. Then you will need to walk through the given below instructions.
How to Start a Secret Conversation
To start a secret conversation or private chat is very simple and easy, there are two ways to start your private chat or secret conversation with other users. Let’s scroll down to do it.
Method# Open Conversation Direct from Main Chat Screen
- Tap to Open Messenger App and find to open any conversation
- Select the info “I” icon at the top right side of the screen
- Tap the Go to Secret Conversation option
- Now let begin typing your first Encrypted end-to-end message
- Then tap on the Send icon to send the message
Method#2 Using Search Bar to Find Conversation to open
You can also begin a private chat or secret conversation right from your home screen on the Messenger app.
- Tap to Open your Messenger App
- Enter person name in the search bar you want to start a secret Conversation at top of your screen
- Select his Profile photo
- Then tap on info “I” icon from the top left side
- Finally, tap on Go to Secret Conversation option
- Start typing your text message, photos, & videos then send it
Now you are good to go and started successfully a super-secure conversation or chat on Messenger.
Note: Remember that you need to repeat the same instruction in order to start sending a new conversation.
How to Set Timer for Automatic Message Deletion or Disappear
To make your message supper secure then you must be turned on the timer for your convo. The timer allows you to automatically delete conversation right after sending them. All you need is to set a time duration 5 seconds, 10 sec, 30 and after that, the message will remove automatically. It will hide and the person the receiver can no longer view or read it.
- Go to the Secret Conversation
- Type your message in chatbox
- Tap on Timer icon to the left side of your message
- Then select the Time limit 5 sec, 10, 30 second
- Tap to send the messages
This timer feature in Messenger is the same as the self-destructive message features on Snapchat, it is similar to that.
Note: The feature will be available when you are in a secret conversation mode and it will not available until now on the Regular Messenger conversation.
What is allow to Send in a Secret Conversation
Let’s show you some of the limitations and rules for what you can send in secret or private convo. You are able to send the followings :
- Voice Recording only
What is not allowed to Send in a Secret Conversation
You are not allowed to send the following thing in a private or secret chat on Messenger:
- Audio and Video calls
- Gifs are not allowed
- Group messages and conversations
How to Delete a Secret Conversation
It is very easy and simple to delete a secure and secret chat or convo, there are two things you must be kept in mind.
Important note: You can either bulk delete private or secret convo at once. You can delete a private or secret conversation from your Messenger chat screen (when you open and view entire chats there). I will show both in below given instructions:
Delete Individually Secret Conversation
- Tap Open your Messenger App on your mobile
- From the main chat screen, you will view a block round with a lock icon on the person’s(You have sent him a secret conversation) profile picture
- Now swipe on chat from the left to the right-hand side
- Tap on the Red bin icon once appear
- Then tap Delete option to get rid of the complete conversation
Delete all Secret Conversation at once
Delete all private or secret conversation at once in a bulk then walk through following instructions:
- Open your Messenger App
- Go to Profile by tapping on Profile picture at the upper left side corner
- Scroll down to tap on the Secret Conversation with the white lock icon
- Then tap on the Delete All secrete Conversations option
After that, all your secret conversations must be removed from your device only. However, the process will not affect or delete these private or secrete chat from your friend’s device. He can still have seen or managed it until he desired. You are unable to control the other person’s device.
How Check If a Conversation is Encrypted or Not?
Prior to this article about your device keys on Messenger, Facebook does provide a solution to manually see or check if your current chats or messages or conversation is completely encrypted or not. To check secrete conversation manually encryption, follow these instructions:
Go to Your Own Messenger Profile to Check Device Keys
- Open your Messenger App
- Tap on the Profile picture
- Scroll down and tap on Secret Conversations option under your profile
- Now Compare your device Keys with other person keys
- If your device keys are matching, then your chat or convo is end to end encrypted. If not matching you’re in a regular Messenger Mode chat
In the rare case, there could be possibly an issue or bug while matching the keys. You may check it again later on after a few minutes if there is something went wrong with the keys feature.
Go to Your Friend’s Profile to Device Keys
- Go to Messenger
- Tap to open the Conversation with secret lock icon
- Then tap on the Info icon
- Now you can tap on Your Keys
- You can also tap on Friend’s Keys option
- To compare these keys to ensure the friend’s phone security of the conversation
How to See and Read Secret Conversation
Let’s show how to see or view and read secret or private chat or conversation on Facebook Messenger. If you have send a private or secret conversation with someone or friends on Messenger. The only way to see and read that private conversation and follow the given steps:
- Open your Messenger App
- Find the convo with the black chat bubbles with a white lock with a black circle on the person profile picture
- Then open that conversation
- Now you can see and read a Secret Conversation (You can see the below picture)
How to Go Regular Conversation From Secret Conversation
If you already started send secret conversation with your friend and want to go back to regular during the chatting. Then you will need to follow the given steps to mange your conversation:
- Tap on the Info “i” icon of the already open chat
- Select the Go Regular Conversation option
- You will redirect to the Regular conversation screen
- Start typing your message and send is regular conversation
How to Disable Secret Conversation on Messenger App
Disabling your secret or private conversation on Messenger is very easy. When you change your mind or decided to turn off/disable secret convos on Messenger. It doesn’t matter whatever the reason behind it but you can do so in the given listed instruction for both Android and iPhone devices.
- Tap to Open your Messenger App on Android or iOS device
- tap the profile picture from the upper left corner of your screen to open your profile
- Scroll down to tap on the Secret Conversation option
- Tap on the Toggle from the Right to left side to Disable Secret Conversations
- Finally, tap on the Turn Off option to confirm your action
How to Remove Device from Secret Conversations
Removing your device from the secrete conversation feature is very easy. However, to remove your device from this feature in the following below steps:
- Tap to Open your Messenger
- Go to your Profile on Messenger
- Then scroll down to Secret Conversations option and tap it
- Tap the Toggle to move to the left side and will turn off this feature and remove your device from the secret conversation
- You will get a confirmation notification that “This device has been remove from secret conversations” option
- Finally, you have to remove your device successfully
Note: Remember one thing once you remove your device. You can unable to send a secret or private or super-secure conversation. The entire features of this article may will not available for you. That is the only option when you remove a device and stop using it.
What Does Remove Device Mean?
Remove the device from the secret conversation is nothing but it’s a confirmation notification message. That this device is removed and no longer able to use the a secret conversation. It means now you can’t send a secure or private message with your friends or others. Because you have removed or deactivated your mobile device, though all the functions or features of secret or private conversation can’t be available until you re-enable the feature.
Secret Conversation Feature is Currently Disable for This Device: How to fix it?
There are maybe several reasons if the device you are using is unable to enable to secret conversations option or disabled for this device. However, these chats or conversations are locked down between two devices. Moreover, you can’t a secret or private convo on another device by the login. Let’s show you how to fix your device disable issue by following given listed steps:
- Download and update your Messenger App, if the auto app update is turned on. If you do not like to enable auto-update apps on Google Play Store. Then try to download the APK file and install it as usual
- Log out and log in to your Messenger again
- Restart your device (Android or iOS)
- Clear the cookies and cache on your mobile
- May it is a bug sometime. Just wait for the automatic update to fix it
- Check your smartphone device update settings and upgrade your phone device if there is an update available for your device
- Use the secret convo feature after some days
- Try to Turn on or off or Enable and disable the feature
The above all are the solutions to your issue to fix it and if the issue is still available and unable to use the secret conversation feature. Then you go to your Facebook’s help and community center and let them about the issue.
Can I Use Secret Conversation Feature on Multiple Devices
You will need to know some of the important things about the secret convo feature in Messenger. For different devices questions, Yes you can use multiple mobile devices. But the conversation you have started on one device should not available when you sign in into a different device.
Simply, these conversations or chats will not syncs on multiple devices at a time, these will be visible only on the one device you have started it on. To use a secret conversation feature on multiple devices on Messenger, you will need to log in to a device as normally and enable the feature as I told you.
Facebook Secret Conversation for Desktop
In short no, the secret conversation for Facebook desktop is still not available. If you ask Facebook for a secret conversation feature on Facebook.com then the simple reply will that your message is secure on Facebook servers.
The secret conversations feature are currently only avail in the Messenger app on Android and iOS, so they will not appear on messenger.com or Facebook chat.
How to disable secret conversation on messenger iPhone
Disabling secret conversations on the messenger app on the iPhone is similar to the above method for all Android and iOS devices. Open Messenger app on iPhone>Go to your profile>select Secret Conversation option>tap to Disable the toggle> then tap to turn off the secret conversations.
Failed to Turn Off secret conversations
You will need to follow the same steps as I share for the Secret Conversation Feature is Currently Disable for This Device: How to fix it? read it and follow one by one until you fix your issue.
Why am I seeing more than one Messenger conversation with the same person?
If you start a private or secret conversation with anyone you already have a regular Messenger conversation with, You will view two multiple conversations in your Messenger app. The secret conversation has a padlock black icon by the person’s profile photo.