Secure your Facebook account with Two Factor authentication. Because most of the users are using the Facebook account to keep their personal information. And keep their data private such as video and photos. After that, if someone accesses your account without your permission could be a destructive experience.
A strong password is no more enough to make sure your FB accounts remain safe. So it’s more important to have an extra security layer for your account. To protect from access without your permission. You have to Activate Two-Factor Verification (2FA) on your account.
It enables a level of protection to the sign-in process. Similarly, help to secure your personal information from beings show up to the other users’ eyes.
What is 2FA on Facebook
Two-Factor verification enables extra protection to sign in after you enter your password. After the password, you need to enter the 2nd verification factor that you choose. These including Authenticator App, SMS code or voice call to verify on a specific number.
How it works
Each time you log in to your account, it will ask the second authentication to verify. You may not have access to the 2nd authentication each time. However, you can give the option to remember your choice for a similar device. It will not repeatedly ask when to sign in from the same device.
You may experience the security while sign in to Bank account. You already enable 2-step authentication on your Gmail account. Similarly, Facebook allows users to turn on/off the feature on their account.
How to Enable Two-Factor Verification on your Facebook Account
To enable two-factor verification on your Facebook account and choose 2nd-factor validation method, follow the steps below.
- Open your Facebook and login if required
- Click the Down Arrow
- Select the Settings option from the drop-down menu
- Click the Security and login next to the General option
- Then scroll down to the Two-Factor Authentication section click the Edit, near to the option of “Use Two-Factor Authentication”
- Enter your password and click Submit option
- Hit the Get Started option on the Two-Factor Authentication Dashboard.
- Choose a security method like Text Message or an Authentication app
- If you select the Authentication app. Then you have to generate a code while using a third-party app. If you select the Text Message then you will receive a text message with six-digit code from Facebook.
- Enter your Phone number to received digit code via mobile Text Message
- Enter the received code digit in the boxes and click Next option
- Finally, your Two-Factor Authentication is on and will show with the current date
#1 Open Facebook and navigate to Settings
Sign in to your account and click the drop-down button then click on Settings.
#2 Open Security and Login tab
From Settings, open the Security and Login tab to view all security sections.
#3 Navigate to Two-Factor Authentication section
In Security and Login tab, scroll down to Two-Factor Authentication tab. Then click on Edit button next to “Use two-factor authentication”. It will ask for a security code whenever an unusual device detect. You can also access it with a direct link here.
Enter your account password for click submit button.
#4 Enable / Turn on Two-Factor Authentication
On the welcome page, click on Get Started to proceed and turn on the feature. However, you will need to have a valid 2nd factor to provide and verify now.
Here you need to choose the security method. While you have two main options to use Authentication App or Text message. However, there is furthermore option in the Text message. Either you get SMS or use voice call to get a pin code.
You can to decide, do you have access to your phone all the time?. Authenticator App is possible to use even if you don’t have access to the network. Therefore, you need to carefully decide what you are doing.
When you choose a Text message, you will need to provide your cellphone. To do so, first, enter your country code. After that, enter the phone number and click Next to get a verification code.
Enter the code you receive via SMS as a single digit in each box then click the Next button.
Your Two Factor Authentication is on now. Furthermore, showing the date in the dashboard since turn on (date).
#5 Add back up option to Two Factor Verification
You need a backup option in case you lost access to the 2nd factor. You can set up a backup for recovery. This recovery is possible to help you when you lost your phone. Sometimes if accessing your account from another place or travelling to another country.
These methods of backup are not compulsory but are recommended in some conditions. When you are unable to get access to your primary 2FA application or device. After that, you can configure this option. By clicking the Setup and then Security Key or Recovery Codes options.
The backup options are Authentication App, Security Key and Recovery codes. However, you can get or use any of them after you enable Two-Factor Authentication first. While you can also add trusted devices to not ask each time you log in to your account.
a. Authentication App
Authentication App is to connect with Facebook 2FA and it will generate code each time it asks for the second key. While it doesn’t matter in case Authentication App is not connected to the internet. It helps when you don’t have network single on your smartphone.
b. Security Key
It is a device such as a USB or U2F (Universal 2nd Factor). These devices are with multiple features, such as to touch USB. And some devices allowing NFC function to access the 2nd key.
c. Recovery codes
Recovery codes are printable or even you can write down to keep your wallet. It is strongly recommended to keep it safe. It helps you when you don’t have access to anything. In some circumstances when you lost your phone. Sometimes travelling to another country with no signal on your phone.
How to Disable Facebook 2-Step Authentication
You can easily turn off Facebook 2-Step authentication on your FB account. So follow the steps to disable your 2FA feature.
- First of all, open your Facebook account and sign in if necessary
- Click the Down arrow at the top-up right-hand corner
- Select the Settings option from the menu
- Click the Security and Login option in the left menu panel
- Go to the Two-Factor Authentication section and scroll down to click the Edit option
- Enter your password and click to Continue
- Click the Turn Off option near to the “Note that two-factor authentication is on“
- A pop-up window will appear of confirmation to click the Turn Off option again to finish the process.
- Finally, your 2FA feature is now turn off on your Facebook account.
The feature is currently enabled. To turn off, click the Turn Off button.
Validate security login to re-enter your account password then click Submit.
One-click away to finally turn it off.
Conclusion on Two Step Authentication
In conclusion, If you believe you are get involved in Facebook with a lot of personal information. And you are a worry for your security then 2-factor verification is an extra security layer to activate on your Facebook account. After that, it will not allow anyone to sign in your account. Even if someone knows your password. In the end, they will need to verify the login with two-factor authentication.
What you think of this security feature from Facebook. Are you aware and enjoying the feature? Write down in the comments below and share your experience.